Back to the last installment of the big trip....thanks for keeping up with me!
The train to Rome finally arrived after being delayed for a bit. This time we were able to be in a train coach that had air conditioning!! Yay! After arriving back in Rome we headed right back to our hotel. Since our room wasn't quite ready, we went out to a neighborhood restaurant to grab some lunch. I ate another whole pizza myself!
The train to Rome finally arrived after being delayed for a bit. This time we were able to be in a train coach that had air conditioning!! Yay! After arriving back in Rome we headed right back to our hotel. Since our room wasn't quite ready, we went out to a neighborhood restaurant to grab some lunch. I ate another whole pizza myself!
After a short rest, we headed over to a church called St Maria in Trastevere across the Tiber river. Before entering the church, S wanted a Coke and I wanted my first genuine gelato. I got a caramel flavor. The church was prettier than I expected.
After walking around the church, we explored the streets of Trastevere. It felt like where the real Romans lived rather than where all the tourists go, so that was very refreshing.
We then walked over to the Tiber river to get a view of the basilica dome from a bridge and then made our way to the Campidoglio area for a different view of the Roman Forum and glimpse of the Colosseum again.
Next up was the Trevi Fountain. A guy was horsing around or something and got wet in the fountain. The policeman was pretty angry and kicked him out of the area. 

Then we walked our way up to the Spanish steps. I think I hyped that place up in my head. The fountain was neat and there were tons of people roaming the area, but it wasn't the most fabulous thing I've ever seen. I heard it is better at night.
We then made our way back to the hotel and took a peek at the four fountain intersection. For dinner our last night, we ate at Taverna Flavia. While there, a guy was interviewing the owner for a Turkish travel show or something. That was a delicious dinner. In this photo, I was sneakily trying to get a picture of the owner (blue shirt).
We went to sleep really early because we had to get up at 4am to take a taxi to the airport.
The alarm went off the next morning, too early if I may say so, and we began our long journey home. I was amazed at how many people were still up from partying the night before as we drove to the airport. When we checked in, they only gave us the boarding pass for the Rome to Paris leg. This made it a little difficult when we got to Paris.
We landed in Paris and wandered around for a bit trying to figure out how to get those much needed boarding passes! After figuring out where to go, we took the shuttle bus that stopped at every-single-terminal, and ours was the last one.... Got our boarding passes and finally we got on the plane and took off back to the States; only after the Paris security guy confiscated my tiny cuticle scissors.
We landed in Paris and wandered around for a bit trying to figure out how to get those much needed boarding passes! After figuring out where to go, we took the shuttle bus that stopped at every-single-terminal, and ours was the last one.... Got our boarding passes and finally we got on the plane and took off back to the States; only after the Paris security guy confiscated my tiny cuticle scissors.
Upon landing in Dallas, I was able to turn my phone on for the first time in 3 weeks. I had a text and voicemail from a friend, T-the Fredericksburg birthday girl. I called her once we got past security to our gate. Her big news was her engagement while I was away!!!!! YAY! I wanted to squeal, but didn't think that was the best thing to do in the airport. Congrats to T and B!!
It was such a good feeling to see the Austin skyline from the plane as we landed. We took a taxi home and unpacked a little. I was too tired to cook anything, so I ate a cheese stick, showered, and went to bed around 8pm.
Ciao Ciao-until the next escapade!







No comments:
Post a Comment