Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mediterranean Cruise- Palma De Mallorca, Spain and Cagliari, Sardinia [Italy]

We arrived in lovely Palma De Mallorca and spent most of the time on a nice beach. The island has had fires recently and we got to see the evidence. We watched helicopters and planes drop water on the smoking area the whole time we were at the beach.
 I don't remember the name of the beach we went to, but it was so nice. The water was incredibly calm and the beach was wide. After reading for a bit, I would go cool off in the water, and then repeat. 
While waiting for the bus, we located a can of Dr Pepper! It tasted a little different than what we have at home. S was beat from the sun, but I wanted to check out the town by myself. I took a shuttle to the main part of the town. The drop off was near the cathedral, I think designed by Gaudi. It was beautiful! 

Since I was still wearing my swimsuit cover up and bathing suit, I couldn't enter the church. If I had more time, I would have taken a tour of the palace next door. These islands are known for their pearls so I picked up a new pair of earrings at a shop near the cathedral. On the ride in, I had seen a Hard Rock Cafe so I walked hastily over there to get another pin for our collector friend. By that time I went back to the boat because I was starving and wanted food I didn't have to shell out euros for. We had another lovely sunset. 
The last port of call on the cruise was Cagliari, Sardinia. We walked around quite a bit in this town. We went up to the walled in part of the city to find a lovely view of the surrounding area. 
They have a couple of outdoor elevators to help people get up in the really old part of the town. We saw a neat old house now used for something to do with the government, a beautiful church, and a tower. We stopped off at a cafe on a plaza that overlooked the area. 
A bit later we went hunting for the Roman amphitheater. After roughly an hour hunting up and down streets (and up and down hills) we found it. not impressed. 
I think we had hyped it up and then spent too much time looking for it. Our table-mates that found it felt the same. You couldn't enter it unless there was an actual concert going on. After that defeat, we went back to the ship. Thankfully we looked at the Compass (ship newsletter) to discover that tonight was the other formal dinner night. It was also helpful that our laundry was delivered to the room just before dinner or we wouldn't have been able to go. A towel monkey was hanging out when we got "home." 

The last day of the cruise was the day at sea was a day to relax. I think we just sat in the middle of the Mediterranean because it was super hot out on the pool deck area. I gave up looking for a lounge chair. It seems like everyone on the boat was out by the pool. I didn't do too much else this day other than read. The main show for the night was really neat. A guy/girl duo did acrobatics using the sheet thing over the stage. Impressive. 

The next morning we disembarked the boat carrying all our own luggage to the shuttle and then on to the train station at the port. We bought a ticket back to Rome but just missed the next train, so we had to wait for the next one.  Next up, another day in Rome before we have to go home (last entry of the trip). Thanks for sticking with the many entries to this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...