On Sunday while I read out by the pool, I had a lovely conversation with one of the employees of the hotel. She is super sweet and from Kenya. We talked about where else we should try to visit while in Bahrain. I told her I was from Texas and described the different parts and how each part is diverse from the others. Dinner was at Fuddruckers on restaurant row. I stubbed my toe REALLY REALLY badly on S’s shoe on the way back. No, I did not burn my foot on a George Foreman grill....
The pooor pinky toe was all bruised up on Monday morning. I keep putting a washcloth filled with ice on it to help the swelling go down. This is not the greatest time to have a foot injury, especially with what I have planned for our very short time in Rome. The group ventured out in the evening after a beautiful sunset over the city. The amount of dust in the air is astounding. The sun disappears into the dust cloud before it actually goes beyond the horizon. We also spent a good chunk of time locating the Hard Rock Cafe for some merch. Found it and some people got neat shirts and S and I picked up a coveted pin for a friend.
Tuesday I finally chatted with the family I keep seeing up by the pool. They are from Scotland and might be moving down here in the future for the husband’s work. The team came back from the base earlier and the only other girl on the trip besides me had a funny story. Her humvee was cut off by a bus in the city (note- she wasn’t driving, only riding) and the Bahraini guys got out and gave the driver a very stern talking to. I made a meager dinner at the apartment with very limited kitchen supplies. It sure does make me appreciate what I have at home!!! Tonight was the visit the souk night. It took some time getting to it and we got a local taste of Bahrain. One guy picked up a pair of salt and pepper shakers of people in traditional dress. Another guy bought a traditional men’s outfit, and he could pull it off! Another haggled and got two alarm clocks shaped like mosques, and the sound is the call to prayer. Pretty cool. I had my eye out for something I could turn into a Christmas ornament. I doubt they have those there, but I used a keychain one year for our trip to Africa. S and I collect an ornament to remind us of places we . The only thing that caught my eye that I could possibly turn into an ornament was a genie lamp. It was too big though. Some of the group picked up extra long iPhone charging cord thingies. On the way back, I tried to snap a few photos of the Bahrain World Trade Center. Not the greatest I’ve taken, but it was done from a moving car on the highway.
The others had their big demo today, Wednesday, while I got to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast followed by reading at the pool. After the group relaxed for a bit, some of us went out on the town, to Mickey D’s. We then headed back to the souk area because one guy in the group didn’t go the night before. We tried to get “lost” again and show the new guy what exciting things we saw the night before but we really did get turned around and heading away from the souk accidentally. We found the “car park” again and walked to the shops. The new guy wanted to find traditional outfits for his whole family. (he has 18mo twins) He got an outfit as well as a little boy’s at one guy’s shop. He used my head as the model for the cap because he said his son’s head is about my size. Found out later that evening that he went to LeTourneau and knew where Longview was! I was a model for his wife’s abaya since we are roughly the same height. I cannot imagine wearing one of those all day out in the heat. The ladies here need some respect for that. I finally found something I kind of liked and of course it was a little bag. Peru.South Africa.Munich.Bahrain-the streak continues! We also ate some super tasty bread that they cook in a crazy hot oven. We had one last “schwarmiee” run.
S and I walked over to the Grand Mosque for a tour on our last day. Very toasty out. If you looked at the weather forecast, it was 110 degrees most days. I had to wear a burqua when I went inside with my shawl covering my head. It was gorgeous inside. Our guide was from originally from France. While there, we got to see a prayer time. On my way out, I picked up a pamphlet on Islam and Christianity.
After walking back, S and I cleaned up because we were so sweaty and had to pack. We ordered pizza from Papa Johns and it was delivered via scooter or motorcycle to the hotel. We scarfed it down because we had to catch a taxi to the airport. The Christmas ornament was acquired at the airport, a mini genie lamp.Our flight was at 11:30pm on Qatar Airways. Such a nice airline. I think S called it a 5-star! We had a HUGE plane (like 3 sets of 3 seats across) to fly from Bahrain to Doha. I think the distance is shorter than Austin to DFW. The Doha airport is an adventure. When you land, you exit the plane down a stairway onto the ground and then take a shuttle bus to the main "terminal." You then go through security, find your gate number, wait there and then take a shuttle to your plane out on the tarmac and get in it via stairs. I don't know why they don't have walkways like most places. They do not have to worry about rain! Now onto Rome and a Mediterranean cruise!
There will be many more pics from this escapade later on on facebook, check them out!
The pooor pinky toe was all bruised up on Monday morning. I keep putting a washcloth filled with ice on it to help the swelling go down. This is not the greatest time to have a foot injury, especially with what I have planned for our very short time in Rome. The group ventured out in the evening after a beautiful sunset over the city. The amount of dust in the air is astounding. The sun disappears into the dust cloud before it actually goes beyond the horizon. We also spent a good chunk of time locating the Hard Rock Cafe for some merch. Found it and some people got neat shirts and S and I picked up a coveted pin for a friend.
Tuesday I finally chatted with the family I keep seeing up by the pool. They are from Scotland and might be moving down here in the future for the husband’s work. The team came back from the base earlier and the only other girl on the trip besides me had a funny story. Her humvee was cut off by a bus in the city (note- she wasn’t driving, only riding) and the Bahraini guys got out and gave the driver a very stern talking to. I made a meager dinner at the apartment with very limited kitchen supplies. It sure does make me appreciate what I have at home!!! Tonight was the visit the souk night. It took some time getting to it and we got a local taste of Bahrain. One guy picked up a pair of salt and pepper shakers of people in traditional dress. Another guy bought a traditional men’s outfit, and he could pull it off! Another haggled and got two alarm clocks shaped like mosques, and the sound is the call to prayer. Pretty cool. I had my eye out for something I could turn into a Christmas ornament. I doubt they have those there, but I used a keychain one year for our trip to Africa. S and I collect an ornament to remind us of places we . The only thing that caught my eye that I could possibly turn into an ornament was a genie lamp. It was too big though. Some of the group picked up extra long iPhone charging cord thingies. On the way back, I tried to snap a few photos of the Bahrain World Trade Center. Not the greatest I’ve taken, but it was done from a moving car on the highway.
The others had their big demo today, Wednesday, while I got to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast followed by reading at the pool. After the group relaxed for a bit, some of us went out on the town, to Mickey D’s. We then headed back to the souk area because one guy in the group didn’t go the night before. We tried to get “lost” again and show the new guy what exciting things we saw the night before but we really did get turned around and heading away from the souk accidentally. We found the “car park” again and walked to the shops. The new guy wanted to find traditional outfits for his whole family. (he has 18mo twins) He got an outfit as well as a little boy’s at one guy’s shop. He used my head as the model for the cap because he said his son’s head is about my size. Found out later that evening that he went to LeTourneau and knew where Longview was! I was a model for his wife’s abaya since we are roughly the same height. I cannot imagine wearing one of those all day out in the heat. The ladies here need some respect for that. I finally found something I kind of liked and of course it was a little bag. Peru.South Africa.Munich.Bahrain-the streak continues! We also ate some super tasty bread that they cook in a crazy hot oven. We had one last “schwarmiee” run.
Check out the guy cooking the bread in the oven behind us
S and I walked over to the Grand Mosque for a tour on our last day. Very toasty out. If you looked at the weather forecast, it was 110 degrees most days. I had to wear a burqua when I went inside with my shawl covering my head. It was gorgeous inside. Our guide was from originally from France. While there, we got to see a prayer time. On my way out, I picked up a pamphlet on Islam and Christianity.
After walking back, S and I cleaned up because we were so sweaty and had to pack. We ordered pizza from Papa Johns and it was delivered via scooter or motorcycle to the hotel. We scarfed it down because we had to catch a taxi to the airport. The Christmas ornament was acquired at the airport, a mini genie lamp.Our flight was at 11:30pm on Qatar Airways. Such a nice airline. I think S called it a 5-star! We had a HUGE plane (like 3 sets of 3 seats across) to fly from Bahrain to Doha. I think the distance is shorter than Austin to DFW. The Doha airport is an adventure. When you land, you exit the plane down a stairway onto the ground and then take a shuttle bus to the main "terminal." You then go through security, find your gate number, wait there and then take a shuttle to your plane out on the tarmac and get in it via stairs. I don't know why they don't have walkways like most places. They do not have to worry about rain! Now onto Rome and a Mediterranean cruise!
There will be many more pics from this escapade later on on facebook, check them out!







I'm glad you got a Christmas ornament and a new bag. It sounds like you are having an amazing time in Bahrain. :) Keep the fun posts coming!
ReplyDelete