Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Babymoon Part 6: Stockholm, Sweden

The flight was slightly delayed from Amsterdam, so we landed after midnight in Stockholm.  We had this great idea to store our rolling bags at the airport and just take stuff we needed for 2 days in our backpack.  This plan failed because the storage place was not open at 1am.

The city center is at least 40km from the airport.  Finally made it to our hotel, Hotel Reisen to check in and crash.

In the morning, cousin Nikki and her boyfriend joined us for breakfast at the hotel.  I learned that I love Swedish pancakes.  Doubt that is their real name, but that is what they are called in my head.

Nikki let me borrow a warm jacket that went down to my knees and barely zipped over my belly.  I was ever so grateful.  It never got above freezing during our stint in Stockholm.


We then took a ferry to see the Vasa Museum.  It is an incredible museum centered around a warship from the 1600s.  It sunk on its maiden voyage in the Stockholm harbor, so was fairly well protected until it was resurrected and restored in the 20th century.  It took many years to preserve and reassemble all the pieces.  We want to come back to this museum again.






Next we took a bus back to Gamla Stan (the island our hotel was on) to tour Nikki's office which was just down the street from our hotel and then made our way to the Nobel Library.




Nobel winner photos move around like dry cleaning clothes

After a snack, S and I had spa appointments back at the hotel and then dinner at Restaurang Michaelangelo.

The following day, Sunday, was our last full day of the trip.  We took a tour of the Stockholm City Hall.










We also stopped in the Royal Armory, but were only able to see the carriages.  The other part of the museum was being renovated.


Marie Antoinette's pen

Next up was Fotografiska, the photograph museum.  The museum has rotating exhibits and I really enjoyed what was showing, especially the one about Operation Smile.  Travel tip - this museum is open super late so save for last when all the others are closed.


We then met back up with Nikki and Philip for dinner.  We had to have meatballs since we were in Sweden!  We tried the sampler plate and had a variety of meats - I really enjoyed the moose and boar.




After we were stuffed, we headed back to the hotel to grab our stuff and head up to Jumbo Stay near the airport.  It was one of most unique places we have ever stayed!  We spent the night in the cockpit of a decommissioned 747.  The cockpit suite came with a private bathroom and lounge area!  Too bad we had to get up at 5am to catch a flight.  Next time I would like to peek in the engine rooms and walk on the wing.





The next morning came way too fast.  We checked out and hauled our bags through the snow to the bus stop.  The bus dropped us off at our terminal and then we caught a flight to London.

Jumbo Stay


Since we got up at 5am, I let myself nap on the short flight.  Upon reaching London, we grabbed some breakfast and then got on our long haul flight to Austin.  I watched a bunch of movies and documentaries to keep myself up for the 10 hour flight.  That way I would be very tired for bed after getting home.

We arrived home around 5pm and then sought out Tex-Mex for dinner.  We were asleep by 10pm and I slept through the night until my alarm woke me up for work.

Such an awesome trip!  So very glad we were able to take one last escapade together before our bundle of joy arrived a few months later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...