Monday, April 24, 2017

Packing Tips/Tricks

People seem to be amazed that we can pack for long trips in carry-ons.  I think it helps that I am fun sized so my clothes/shoes are small :)  Here are some tricks and such that I have learned over the years.  Do you have any tricks/tips to share that I might not know about?

Several of these I have learned from Pinterest and most from the real world.
  • Make a packing list!  This can help save you time and possibly can help you from scrambling at the last minute as you try to rush out the door.  I make one on Google Keep or Google Docs.  For the big trip to Australia/New Zealand, I made a tab on our planning doc and could add to it on the go as I thought of items.  When the item is packed, cross it off, turn it a different color, whatever works for you.
  • When you are packing, roll your clothes!  This can help with cutting down on wrinkles too.
  • Put shoes in a shower cap.  This can help cut down on getting your other items dirty in the suitcase.
  • PACKING CUBES have changed my packing life.  They really help organize your stuff.  You can do all tops in one, underthings in another and so on.  Here are some photos from the big recent trip.




  • I carry a reusable bag that collapses into its own pocket for dirty clothes or if I need an extra bag.  Plus is that this one can be washed!  For long trips I carry an old REI version of this duffel that can turn into an extra bag if we need one.  It packs into a waterbottle pocket on my backpack so does not take up much space.
  • Instead of packing my regular bottles of face lotion or foundation, I squeeze my liquids into a contact case then label it.  Tried this out last year and was very happy because it took up less space in my precious toiletries bag.
  • Empty water bottle can help save you $$$.  Protip - Fill up the water bottle after you pass through security.  Make sure if you have to go back through security when connecting through airports that the bottle is empty again.  Learned this the hard way at Heathrow!
  • Dr. Bronner's soap can be used for laundry soap, body wash, shampoo, etc.  I take a small bottle with me.  IF you have a long trip and plan on washing clothes along the way, see if your lodging has access to laundry machines so you can plan out how many clothing items you need to make it from laundry to laundry (or do a little sink washing with this stuff!).
  • Paper copies for backup!!  I always take extra copies of my passport and trip itinerary with all the info I have about the places we will stay, do, etc in case we do not have an internet connection or if technology dies.
  • If you are worried about your internet/cell service and use Google Maps, you can download maps ahead of time on your phone and still be able to navigate while offline!!  This was incredibly handy while campervan-ing around New Zealand.
  • Battery pack has been a handy new tool for me.  That way you do not have to worry about losing all your juice.  Just make sure you have the cable to connect phone to battery!  Please note these suckers can take a long time to recharge, but can usually charge your phone a couple times in between charges.
  • When flying, especially outside the US, I learned the hard way a couple times that other places do not allow cuticle scissors (like half inch snippers) or cuticle clippers in your carry-on.
  • To help me sleep on a plane, I bring my neck pillow, eye mask, ear plugs (now my Bose noise-cancelling headphones), and fuzzy socks to keep my toes warm.
  • Wear your most space stealing shoes on the plane.

Other:

  • Sign up for TravelZoo to see awesome deals, like our China trip.
  • If you are heading to Europe, definitely check out Rick Steves. He is amazing and you can buy his handy travel books or download podcasts (free) on his app.
  • Kara and Nate's YouTube channel - we discovered them while researching campervans for New Zealand.  They are a fun couple to watch travel and I've added several things to my "I want to travel here" list.


I hope these tips help you in your escapades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...