For Day Six, the group spent the morning exploring Min Kun. We visited the Mingun Pahtodawgyi, an unfinished stupa, essentially a large pile of bricks and the Mingun Bell that was once the largest bell in the world. Part of the group ducked inside the bell to have one of us ring it.
The gold is hammered between bamboo paper pages. We saw how they make the paper too. That can take years!! The workers do not trust clocks so use a timer made out of a coconut husk and water. I was impressed. I forgot the number of times the coconut fills up before the leaf is "done" with a stage, but I would lose count for sure.
I purchased some gold leaf stud earrings. Much of what is made at the shop we visited is used at temples. Mechanized gold leaf has taken its toll on these type of local shops.
Mahamuni Buddha Temple houses a Buddha that is covered in a very thick layer of gold leaf, like 6 inches or more. Females are not allowed to go and put leaf on the the Buddha and have to stay back and look from afar.
| Viewing Buddha from the TV |
We also visited the Shwenadaw Monestary and the Kuthodaw Pagoda which has the world's largest book. The teachings of Buddha are carved into marble slabs and then each "page" is housed in a little hut. I think there are like 729. It was beautiful to see as the sun was setting.
| Shwenadaw Monestary - gorgeous wooden structure |
| note the tiny bits of remaining gold leaf |
| amazing carvings |
| Kuthodaw Pagoda |
We returned to our home away from home for the week for one last dinner and night of fun. Sadly this was the last full day on the #KNcruise.
| Map of the Journey |
We had a delicious meal and the staff gave us the best send off. They are such an incredible bunch of folks. The night or should I say morning ended with karaoke! Can you believe I did karaoke again? Granted it was Hakuna Matata, but I did it!
| Micah striking the gong for dinner |
The following morning those of us that went to bed at a reasonable hour gathered for a yummy breakfast and tea/coffee. It was then that time, the very sad time for people to say their goodbyes. We had fun doing a group photo just off the boat and then many people had to rush off to catch a flight.
| early risers |
Our flight was not until later that day so we hung out with some folks that were booked at the Hilton for a few days. We spent most of the day relaxing at the pool. It was great so we didn't have to get super sweaty walking around and then get on a plane for over a day. After cleaning up we caught a taxi that dropped us off at the airport (an hour away).
We grabbed a bite to eat at the cafe and who else was there? Zaw! It was interesting to see him in jeans and a t-shirt! Our flight connected through Bangkok where we had a four hour layover.
S had a great idea to book us a room in an airport hotel. We didn't have to leave security. We woke up and then walked to board the plane. The next leg took us to Taipei where we had another four hour layover. I found the Hello Kitty gate and took a picture for my best friend that loves HK. S found out there was a free shower at this airport too! Make sure to bring a towel and toiletries for this one.
It was such a long journey home, especially when we wanted to see baby!!! We had a fairly short layover at SFO where we had time for breakfast as the sun rose. I'm sure I looked pretty exhausted when we were about to board the Frontier flight to Austin. I went to talk to the gate person because we did not pay for our carry-ons as they had been with us the whole time on all the international legs. He took pity on me and said, don't worry about it. Thank you person, you made my day.
We landed to find Air Force One out on the tarmac. Thankfully no delays this time. We grabbed a taxi home and had all the snuggles with baby!!
It was such a long journey home, especially when we wanted to see baby!!! We had a fairly short layover at SFO where we had time for breakfast as the sun rose. I'm sure I looked pretty exhausted when we were about to board the Frontier flight to Austin. I went to talk to the gate person because we did not pay for our carry-ons as they had been with us the whole time on all the international legs. He took pity on me and said, don't worry about it. Thank you person, you made my day.
We landed to find Air Force One out on the tarmac. Thankfully no delays this time. We grabbed a taxi home and had all the snuggles with baby!!
No comments:
Post a Comment