Monday, March 26, 2018

House Refresh and Springtime in Austin

This spring has been lovely here in Austin!  At the house we've been trying to spruce things up and had gutters installed and the exterior painted.  Plus we removed the two trees in the front yard and planted an awesome new Lacey Oak in the front and Texas Mountain Laurel on the side yard.

before removal
yard before - notice it is basically dirt
view from the lower porch before
after!

My in-laws visited the weekend after the tree removal and were a huge help to remove the stumps and help to plant the new little tree.  After much pick-axing, digging, chain-sawing, and stump grinding, Gifford the oak was planted.





Gifford the Lacey Oak
mountain laurel
I then spent the following weekend creating a small flower bed along the retaining wall and planting some lantana and Mexican heather grass.  Leveling the limestone blocks was the hardest part.  I got mad at the old roots and removed them with the help of a hatchet.  My hands were so swollen and sore from digging/using hatchet that I could not put my rings on the following day.

pot placement
plants in the ground
leveling the blocks
finished product
pressure washing wall is on the list for after we put in grass....
tree seems to like the new home! Already pushing out adorable leaves!

From this project I learned I am not the best landscaper.  I just hope my thumb is green enough to keep the new plants alive until they are established and can live on their own :)

This has been a very lovely spring in Austin and I've been trying to be outside more to experience the blooming of spring.  Used my Wildflower Center membership a couple times already this year to see what is arriving.

white mountain laurel
Mexican plum
bluebonnets
Mexican Buckeye


some pink bluebonnets
columbine
water collected on bluebonnet leaves

What beautiful plants have you seen come out this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...