Monday, January 22, 2018

My First Half Marathon - Austin 3M

Well I finally did it.  Ran a half marathon. Woo!

Last fall my bestie asked if I was interested in running the Austin 3M half marathon with her.  I will admit I was a bit nervous at the thought of that distance at first, but I said yes.

And so we trained.  Her sister-in-law gave her a training schedule to follow to be ready for the race plus suggested that we train at a 13min/mi pace.  We did several runs together at Town Lake and it was really hard to keep the slow pace.  Really hard.  Thank goodness for fitness apps.

In early Dec we did the Trail of Lights fun run.  That run is so much fun - you get distracted with all the pretty light scenes.


My training skidded to a halt mid-Dec with foot pain that left me limping everywhere from over-training. Nothing showed up on the x-ray, but I had to wear the lovely boot.  The boot is legit and I was back in business after about a week.


Training resumed around New Years and the doc said to take it easy.  Then came race day!



I spent the night at my friend's so that we could carpool and be a little closer to the start in north Austin.  We got up super early (before 6am) and I realized I did not have my contacts.....  So we had to rush to my house and grab some because I really did not want to run in my glasses.

We made it with plenty of time to spare (her bf dropped us off) and hung out a hotel near the start line until it was time to line up.



waiting to start

They call the 3M race the "downhill to downtown" run for good reason.

elevation change during race




The race was fun, especially with so many people.  Along the 13.1 miles, we had many cups of Nuun and towards the end decided to high five each other at each mile marker.  I was proud of myself for not walking, except to ingest liquids because I almost inhaled liquids a couple times.  First goal was to finish the race and the second was to pass up the speedwalker that kept a fast pace at the beginning.  Both goals were accomplished.

We ended up finishing together just before 2:46 with a 12:40/m pace.  It rained on us towards the end for a mile or so, thankfully not the whole journey.  It was fun running through campus and seeing our old dorm room window! 

You might call me crazy, but I think I might do one of these again!  In the meantime, I have the Capitol 10k on the docket in April.



we made it!!



celebrating our finish


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...