Saturday, July 30, 2016

South Texas Work Trip

Mid July I had a week's worth of work trips.  First up was cultural resource training near Del Rio in Comstock at the Shumla.  I felt so lucky to tag along with my foresters.  They have to be able to spot cultural treasures while out in the field.  On the journey down to the border, the vehicle I was with stopped at the Caverns of Sonora.  Wow.  Really neat place!




Christmas Tree formations in the front left

copper in the pennies turning this pool a pretty color






"applesauce"





"cave bacon"


butterfly formation (someone broke off part of the right wing in 2006)

wind carved tunnel
After our cave tour, we headed further south, crossed over the Pecos and made it to Shumla where I was able to meet a bunch of my team that I only knew by phone or email.

sunset at Shumla
The next morning we ventured over to the Langtry area for a hike in a box canyon.





holes where food was ground







dig site


Phil the archaeologist





In this canyon, there is a bison jump area.  This is where the Native Americans chased bison on the scrub land above to a hidden slot in the canyon wall where gravity took over and they were able to gain some protein.
bison bone

excavation from the 1960's

jump ending spot is under the red covering







After climbing out of the canyon we checked out Langtry.




at an old bar



We then headed back to the Shumla school to clean up and then had a lecture from Phil and his wife (about rock art - amazing!).  The next morning we took another hike and learned about burnt rock middens, how how important lechuguilla was then, and saw some rock art.  Sadly the rock art is fading fairly rapidly.


fossils

burnt rock midden

lechuguilla

pokey bush

more neat fossils

house from the 1890's

important art - person with a bow



Next up after lunch was swimming in the Devil's River.  Wow.  I was amazed at this beautiful river.











view from our river host's house
It took almost an hour each way to traverse the dirt road to the river.  We made it back to Shumla to cook dinner and rest up.  The next morning we headed back home.  Since we drove right by Seminole Canyon State Park, three of us stopped in for a quick tour/hike.  I was sad to find out my Camelbak was not full like I thought :(  Did I mention it was really really hot near the border??!  Well it was, but thankfully there was almost always a breeze.











After arriving back home I started laundry and packed for round two.  One of my Austin foresters and I flew out the next morning (Friday) to Lubbock for a conservation workshop held by one of our foresters up there.  I really enjoyed that trip too, but was exhausted by the time I made it back home late late Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...