Friday, October 18, 2024

Christmas 2023

Christmas plans had me doing a tour of Texas.  Started in Fort Worth with one set of cousins and then spent several days in Longview celebrating before making my way down to Galveston then back to Austin completing the circuit. My architect cousin invited my family to Galveston to stay at the Grand Galvez, a historic hotel he helped redo recently. 

In Fort Worth, we visited Santa at the Shops at ClearFork with my cousin and their kiddos. I was only able to stay one night sadly since I needed to continue onto my family's house in East Texas.



Despite it being a tad chilly at times, R played in the sandbox for hours and we roasted marshmallows. After regular Sunday service, we stopped in Dairy Queen for lunch since they had one of the only indoor play areas nearby and it started to rain heavily.




The rain cleared out and we decided to visit Carmela's Magical Santa Land for the light display. We arrived before dark to get a relatively good spot in line. I had fun trying to spot the 12 Days of Christmas displays. 




After the lights, we went to church for the Christmas Eve service. R was hilarious as he started to run to the stairs for the children's sermon and then bolted out the back to "go potty". Was slightly embarrassing for me but after a quick pit stop, he ran back. At the end, the minister was giving out candy canes which R announced he "does not like" but he can be a sweetheart and immediately asked for 5 candy canes. Which he then returned to the pew and handed one to each of us: Bbop, Aunt Mary, Poppy, and mommy, plus one for him.


Christmas morning I made popovers in my new Goodwill popover tin find. They certainly are going to become a tradition. Then it was time to open the presents!






A family friend came to enjoy a meal with us and we busted out a bottle of Dom Perignon, yum!






Boxing Day came too quickly and we had to say goodbye to Longview. After trading R in Canton, I headed south. First I met up with mom again as she was visiting Galveston too. We stopped in Clear Lake for coffee with my cousins and aunt. One cousin was in town from NJ. 


Then mom and I drove onto Galveston. The hotel was incredible. They also gifted us a bottle of champagne and a charcuterie board since we were family of my cousin that helped redo the hotel. I was sad R did not travel with me, but realized this is not the best place for my rambunctious 4 year old. Dinner was comped which was nice because it took forever to come out. I think the hotel was busier than they expected so were shorthanded.



The next morning two of my cousins and I went for a run along the boardwalk. After cleaning up, all of us headed to the Galveston Naval Museum where we visited the USS Stewart and USS Cavalla. I love WWII history and touring places like this.








Next up was a very late lunch with some more of the family that traveled in from Houston area. There was a long wait at Katie's Seafood House so after adding our name to the list, we strolled along The Strand. There were a couple ships in port so that is why the area was so busy. 


After a delicious meal, mom had to head home. I went out to the seawall to soak in the gorgeous sunset. 

There were only a handful of us left and we were still stuffed from lunch so we stopped in Daiquiri Time Out for a drink. This was another place my cousin helped redo and they really go all out on decorating for Christmas.



The following morning I slept in and made my way back home, with a stop to visit my grandparents' burial plot to say a prayer. Lovely Christmas break filled with family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...