We had the opportunity to swap houses with a coworker in downtown Chicago in fall 2021. Decided it would be fun for a change of routine and scenery. Before leaving, we finished up a huge side yard landscaping project and made the house as presentable as you can with loads of toys everywhere.
This was R's second flight - plus another state! We flew American and he had to wear a mask per rules for passengers over the age of 2. That was so hard so we fed him lots of snacks. He enjoyed take off and decided not to nap at all due to the excitement. He got to ride a train from the airport to downtown Chicago.
| on the train |
We walked the last couple of blocks to our condo for the next 10 days overlooking the Magnificent Mile and Lake Michigan.
| first sunset |
| Hancock Tower near the condo |
We decided to not haul our pack n play or use Baby Quip (rental) to save hauling heavy luggage since we had carry-ons. Instead I ordered a new pack n play from Target via Shipt. We then had it donated since we have one at home.
This was going to be a workcation. Weather was not great while we were there so we did more work than we probably would have done with good weather.
The condo was incredible. All rooms, minus bathrooms, had floor to ceiling windows so sunsets and sunrises were beautiful overlooking the Magnificent Mile and Lake Michigan. R and I spent HOURS at Eli M. Schulman Park.
| much loved park (our building is the white one in middle-ish background) |
| awesome slide |
On our first full day we worked and then had Giordano's deep dish pizza delivered - yum.
| condo by night |
Our second full day there we wrapped up the afternoon on an architecture boat tour. I highly recommend. We then walked along the Navy Pier and took the Ferris wheel as a family and then the boys did the carousel.
| view from the boat |
| walking along Navy Pier |
| view from Ferris wheel |
The next day was Saturday and we had some lovely weather finally. R and I hit up the park again and during nap I took a run along the lake.
Then we went up in the Hancock Tower. We then headed to the Bean (Cloud Gate) and had a chilly dinner overlooking the river.
| view from Hancock Tower |
Sunday morning we played at the park in between the rain storms and then took the bus to the aquarium. It was so fun watching the seal and then dolphin show. R got to touch sea stars and sting rays! We got absolutely soaked going back to the condo.
| beautiful sunrise from the kitchen |
Tuesday I worked and then took R to Purple Pig for lunch. Everyone said how amazing it was so I wanted to test it out. Definitely not a super place to bring a 2 year old for a leisurely lunch - oops! We had to eat and run since it was almost naptime and a long walk from the condo.
On Wednesday we visited the zoo! R loved it and picked an adorable kangaroo stuffy (named it Roo) to take home. We found another carousel and rode it a couple times.
| hug me! |
Thursday and Friday were more park/work days. We did sneak in a delicious breakfast in at Wildberry. I think those are the best pancakes I've ever eaten. Took another run along the river in a different direction and got soaked. For dinner R and I trekked to Portillo's in some cold drizzly rain for more hotdogs.
| running along the lake |
On Saturday R and I checked out the cool Children's Garden and peeked at the Bean again before we had to finish packing and fly home.
We wrapped up the trip Oct 30th so R could trick or treat at home. He was a train engineer and I was the train.
No comments:
Post a Comment