Monday, June 25, 2018

Spring 2018 Happenings

before
Man! Lots has happened since I last posted on here about my North Carolina trip.  Let's get caught up!  In April, I hosted a baby shower for a bestie!!  I got to be all crafty and make cute elephant bookends and a thing for shower attendees to sign for the baby's room.




The next weekend was Phi Lamb's 30th Anniversary.  A pledge sister traveled in from East Texas to stay with me and after the shower we checked out a winery and some BBQ.  On Sunday after church we headed out to LadyBird Johnson Wildflower Center to see flowers in bloom and peek at the adorable owlets!


We then spent three weekends laying sod.  You guys, I have so much respect for landscapers after our (almost) never ending project.

new backyard grass
side yard
slope

yay! All the sod has been laid




Now that we're a few months out, the grass now looks great plus it has really taken to the yard and is growing like crazy.




In May we attending a taping of NPR's  Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.  The next week I headed down to San Antonio with some co-workers to help them with a Growing Texas workshop.  We spent the day at Confluence Park learning how cities can have really cool parks that exhibit how we can capture rainwater and have less impact on the environment around us.


Mid-May I took a pack test for work (passed it!).  You have to walk 2 miles (with a 25lb weight vest) within 30 mins, plus learn how to deploy a fire shelter properly within 12 seconds.  That weekend Scott and I escaped to the Hill Country for wine tasting and Trade Days in Fredericksburg.  On the way home we had a tasting at my friend's new place, Crowson, in Johnson City!

pack testers
bnb in Fredericksburg
wine tasting with the winemaker @ Inwood Estates




The second weekend in June was jam-packed with us attending the annual ROT (Republic of Texas) Biker Rally.  This year we decided to go all in and rent an RV out at the rally for the full experience.  Friday night we rode in the parade to downtown.  It is so neat to be able to park your bike in the middle of Congress Ave.  After parking, we met up with some friends (the ones from the Istanbul wedding adventure!) for dinner and drinks.  Post Tex-Mex, we had reservations at Midnight Cowboy on 6th Street.  It's a really cool speakeasy bar that makes super fancy drinks.  You have to be buzzed in a the door.


fancy drinks @ Midnight Cowboy

Saturday we wondered around at the rally grounds for a bit then headed back into town to take our friends on some ATX adventures.  Stopped in the new library, had a Tavern burger, and ended the night with them at a honky-tonk (Broken Spoke).  Back at the rally, we closed out the night with a ZZ Top concert and then people watched the parade route!




not the greatest photo, but here is ZZ Top




Sunday we took our friends out to the hill country and then ended the day with at a Master Pancake mock (Donnie Darko).






Jester King brewery
Driftwood Estate Winery


Mid-June I helped put together an Iftar dinner with the Dialogue Institute of Austin at church.  It was so much fun and I hope that by breaking bread together with our Muslim neighbors, barriers were broken down! I even got to have an article in the paper!  My prayer is that we can continue this Iftar tradition for many years to come!







The last big thing in June was a fun wedding for some neighbors out on Lake LBJ!  I am so happy for these guys!






Well, that just about catches us up on life.  May you have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spain/Andorra Girls Trip - March 2026

A friend and her family moved to Madrid for a bit so we decided to book a girls trip. I got to work planning and we decided to meet in Barce...